Application Deadline: February 15 (TEST)
Note: a detailed description of USF Graduate School policies surrounding
admission can be found at: http://www.grad.usf.edu/policies.asp
1. Application and application fee:
Applying to USF is a 100% online process.
Click here to create an account and get started!
2. You will need to upload the following documents with your online application:
- two official transcripts from previous college work leading to the B.A. degree.
Successful applicants typically will have an accumulative GPA of at least 3.25 in
- official GRE scores. Successful applicants typically will have a GRE score (verbal
and quantitative) of at least 1000 (with a 500 minimum on the verbal portion of
the test). International students must have their transcripts evaluated by a foreign
transcript evaluation service.
- international students having earned a B.A. or higher degree in a country whose
official language is not English are required to send official TOEFL scores which
should be a minimum of 79 (internet based), 213 (computer based), 550 (paper based).
- statement of purpose (no more than three pages, essay form) detailing: research
interests, reasons for seeking a M.A. degree at the University of South Florida,
future career goals, a summary of scholarly and extra-curricular activities.
- a writing sample written solely by the applicant (such as a senior research project
or seminar paper) which demonstrates the ability to effectively communicate.
- resume / CV
- three letters of reference from academic sources or others able to judge academic
abilities and potential
- All applications are subject to a competitive review by the members of the Sociology
Department Graduate Committee. Meeting minimum requirements does not guarantee
admission into the program.
- Students can begin study only in fall semesters.
- Students need not be formally admitted to enroll in graduate courses: Courses can
be taken as a non-degree seeking student (https://www.grad.usf.edu/fastapp.html
) Upon approval of the Graduate Director, it is possible to transfer up to 12 credit
hours into the program. To apply for transfer of units follow the links at
http://www.registrar.usf.edu/forms. Students requesting such transfers also
might be required to provide syllabi and/or samples of work accomplished in these
- It is highly recommended that applicants establish contact with the Sociology Graduate
Director early in the application process: socgraddirector.cas.usf.edu