Major in Sociology
The major consists of a minimum of 36 credit hours of Sociology coursework. View
all course descriptions here.
Required Core Courses (12 hrs)
- SYG 2000 Introduction to Sociology (3 hrs)
- SYA 3110 Classical Theory (3 hrs)
- SYA 3300 Research Methods* (3 hrs)
- SYA 4935 Senior Seminar(3 hrs)
* ISS STA 2122 Social Science Statistics (3 hrs) is a pre-requisite requirement
for research methods.
Electives (24 hrs)
Any Sociology course except the required courses fulfill elective course requirements.
Majors are strongly encouraged to visit our Departmental academic advisor to plan
their courses. Academic advisors can help you:
- choose a major
- transfer credits from other schools
- answer questions about electives, requirements and prerequisites
- select the right courses
- help clarify your career and life goals
- explain department policies and procedures
Minor in Sociology
Need to declare a minor in Sociology? Please use this form.
The minor consists of a minimum of 18 credit hours in Sociology, at least 12 of
which must be USF credits. View all course descriptions
Required Core Courses (6 hrs)
- SYG 2000 Introduction to Sociology
- SYA 3110 Classical Theory
Electives (12 hrs)
No more than three hours of SYA 4910 Individual Research, may count toward the 18
hour minimum. Only courses in which a grade of "C-" or better is
attained will count toward the minimum hours.
While students are not required to declare a Sociology minor until application for
graduation, they are encouraged to plan their courses and career goals.
While it is not required that Sociology minors see an Academic Advisor, they are
welcome to make an appointment if they have questions about which sociology courses
might best contribute to their future career plans.